August Debouzy‘s team acts for many of France’s leading newspapers. The firm also has a strong practice representing individuals in litigation against newspapers and magazines, primarily in cases involving libel and defamation. Basile Ader has made the firm a top choice for litigation involving media companies, and particularly press law issues. Counsel Amélie Tripet has developed a strong practice in press law and libel matters. Mahasti Razavi, Florence Chafiol, and Alexandra Berg-Moussa lead the practice alongside Ader.
Media and entertainment: Newspapers in France
Autres avocats clés:
M. Didier Robert
- Advising and representing Radio France in a media litigation case concerning a public contract matter brought by an individual regarding a radio programme entitled ‘Affaires Sensibles’ which dealt with events that occurred during the presidency of the individual at a major energy company.
- Defended Le Parisien in proceedings brought regarding an article that announced the prosecution of Ibrahim Maalouf regarding allegiations of sexual assault against a minor who was undergoing an internship in his studio.
- Assisted and represented RT France in disputes before the CSA regarding accusations of spreading false news for the benefit of President Putin and the Russian state.
Seattle Avocats acts as counsel for companies involved in the media and communication sector such as major press groups, television channels, online press editors, platforms, and blog hosts. Its interdisciplinary focus also gives it a keen understanding of the challenges and opportunities faced by the traditional press sector. Led by Emmanuel Tordjman, François de Cambiaire, and François Ronget, the team has developed expertise in dealing with press offenses perpetrated against a person because of their gender, sexual orientation, disability, or ethnicity. Emmanuel Tordjman is noted for his longstanding relationships with leading online newspapers.
Autres avocats clés:
CAROLINE DE HAAS
COURRIER DES BALKANS
TOUCH PAS NOUT ROCHE
LIGUE POUR LA PROTECTION DES OISEAUX (LPO)
EUROPE ECOLOGIE LES VERTS (EELV)
MEDIAN DIGITAL PARTNER
- Advising the non-profit SOS Homophobie with regards to strategic litigation in anti-discrimination cases, as non-profits are legally required to file complaints on behalf of the LGBTQ community.
- Advising the newspaper Mediapart on its liability action against the French State following the police search of the newspaper’s headquarters in February 2019.
- Representing the online newspaper Mediapart and French politician Mathieu Hanotin in a defamation case brought by a presidential candidate.
Artemont has a strong presence in the print, digital press, and magazines sectors. The firm has longstanding experience in advising media groups, but also acts for individuals in defamation actions, for example for celebrities and business leaders. François Berthod takes the lead on press law matters.
Responsables de la pratique:
La Maison Bleue
European boutique firm Taliens focuses on the media, digital and tech sectors. Jean-Frederic Gaultier is an expert in matters relating to the press and freedom of expression issues, both contentious and non-contentious. He assists with pre-publication clearances, defamation, privacy, and right of publicity matters. Clara Steinitz often acts for foreign media organisations operating in France or reporting news about France such as the BBC and Thompson Reuters. The pair are considered ‘go-to people for issues in France relating to media law’.
‘Jean-Frédéric Gaultier and Clara Steinitz are our go-to people for issues in France relating to media law. They are extremely knowledgeable and very approachable.’
‘Jean-Frédéric Gaultier is very knowledgable and highly commercial. Interactions are nimble.’
‘We always go to Jean-Frédéric Gaultier for French law advice and we value the team’s responsiveness and expert knowledge in intellectual property.’
- Defending Tripadvisor in four disputes on the grounds of defamation.